CWK205

Friends of COVENTRY TRANSPORT

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:45 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to cwk205

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, and access other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum rules

This is the forum to disciuss the liveries of Coventry buses, also the advertisments they carried.

Post subject: Re: Festival buses
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:24 pm 
Gold Member

Have thanks: 179 time
The 'Festival' buses painted with cream roofs came about for the Coventry 'Festival year', 1962 when the queen came to Coventry to open the new Cathedral, and that what it was all about, it was said to brighten up the city. I remember going to Metro-Cammel at Elmdon to photograph the new Festival Daimler buses being built for a CET news story. The buses were bodied, had no windows and were in primer paint, including the cream painted roofs.
t.w.moore has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:20 am 
admin

Have thanks: 795 time
According to this page "Pageant of Coventry 1962", the debt on the Cathedral was reduced from £1,000,000 to £400,000 during the festival year. I don't recall anything about it, other than the buses. The following batch of buses reverted to maroon roofs so presumably they were not judged to be a success.

PS. It's great to see a new contribution from Tom, it's been a while.
mcsporran has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:37 pm 

Have thanks: 6 time
I'm sure I have a photograph of an earlier CVG in this livery too. It was taken in the old Pool Meadow coach park in about 1965. It was probably a test for the RW batch pre-ordering.

Ken
Daimler has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 pm 
Silver member

Have thanks: 112 time
217, 219, 221, 223 and 225 of the VWK batch new in 1958 also had the cream roof livery until painted into the Marshall Red livery in the early 70's
gbailey1 has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:42 pm 
Founder

Have thanks: 418 time
Of the five 1958 CVG6's that were painted in what was classed as an experiment at the time, by having Ivory painted roofs, only four of them ended up being repainted later on into the Marshall Red and Shetland Ivory livery, as Bus 221 was withdrawn in 1970 and cannibalized for spares ! (First Coventry CVG6 withdrawn it was !).

Talking of Bus 221, here's an attached photo of it in the old Pool Meadow Bus Station. Would love to know who the blonde haired lady (in "CCT" Uniform !) is in this photo ? (Could it be Maureen Bailey at all ?).

You mentioned Graham (Bailey) about Bus 299 and why it later had its Ivory roof repainted Maroon, but did it ever have an Ivory roof in the first place ? It's a very good question on your part there to ask why it was repainted, but the reason why i say this, is that i've never ever seen a photo at all anywhere of 299 with an Ivory roof ? (Only got a photo of it with a Maroon roof !). There's something that "FP Groves" mentions in one of the Coventry Transport books, that makes me doubt even more so now about 299's roof ever being Ivory, as he said that the Ivory (Cream) roof that was featured on five of the 1958 CVG's, was later introduced on "MANY" of the 1961 CVG's to ! What i think he really should have said there is (lol), that out of the 22 CVG's delivered to "CCT" in 1961, all but one of them had an Ivory coloured roof !!!!! (Bus 299 being the odd one out !). Would love to be proved wrong on this, but like i say, a photo of 299 with an Ivory roof is just something that may not even exist and maybe because it never ever had one to begin with ??? (Do you have a photo of it at all Tom ?).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]